Dragonlance Series Book Review

I have been doing a lot of reading lately. I am in the process of re-reading the books I own, and my inlaws gave me a stack of books to read...

I have been doing a lot of reading lately. I am in the process of re-reading the books I own, and my inlaws gave me a stack of books to read, including the Dragonlance series. I love fantasy books, so these were right up my alley! This is a series that is a lot like Dungeons & Dragons, where there are multiple books by different authors. I read the ones written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

The books are set in the world of Krynn. The books follow a group of friends and their adventures, and the second generation follows the adventures of their children. Krynn has quite a few gods. The main ones are Chaos (the father of all), Paladine (the god of light and also known in the mortal world as Fizban), Gilean (god of neutrality. Also known in the mortal world as Astinus who documents all of the events in the world), and Takhisis (goddess of darkness. She is always trying to enter the mortal world to take over and force all to obey her will). The group of friends it follows are:

Raistlin: Twin of Caramon. He is a mage that goes from red robes (neutrality) to black robes (darkness). He is always looking for ways to become more powerful, even if it means sacrificing family and friends. He took a test at the Tower of High Sorcery, and now his body is broken, weak, and he is always coughing.

Caramon: Twin of Raistlin. He is valiant at heart and he cares too much for his twin, who does not care for him. He feels that because Raistlin is weak, it is his life mission to take care of Raistlin. Caramon is a big guy with an even bigger heart. He falls in love with Tika, but he tells her that Raistlin will always come first in his heart.

Kitiara: Sister to Raistlin and Caramon. She loves nothing more than power and she is on the side of Takhisis always.

Tanis Half-Elven: Tanis is half-elf, half-human. He is split with love for two women, Kitiara and Laurana (princess of the Qualinesti elves). He marries Laurana as their love is stronger and not of darkness. He is also one of my favorite characters. He grows a lot, and he is a leader among their group. He doesn't always know the best course of action, but he follows his heart.


Flint: A grumpy dwarf who really is a teddy bear at heart. He is terrified of water after almost drowning. He always acts annoyed with Tasslehoff, but he loves Tas. He and Tas are best friends.

Tasslehoff: Kender (a being that enjoys traveling, "picking up" things people may have dropped and putting them in their pouches (basically stealing), and they do not have the feeling of fear). Tas is my favorite character. He always finds the good in a situation and he is always there for his friends. He gets himself and others into some sticky situations, but he also gets them out of the situation.

Riverwind and Goldmoon: Plainspeople who are seen as barbaric. They get married. Riverwind is distant and reserved. Goldmoon is trusting and curious. Goldmoon becomes a cleric for Mishkal (Paladine's wife) and she is seen as a beacon of good. She always tries her best to be good and follow the light.

This post is already SO long and I haven't even gotten into a breakdown of the actual books, so I will just do a tiny bit more.

The first ones I read were the Legends Trilogy:

Time of the Twins
War of the Twins
Test of the Twins

^^These ones are set after the Chronicles Trilogy. 

The second ones I read (which should have been the first ones I read) were the Chronicles Trilogy:

Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Dragons of Winter Night
Dragons of Spring Dawning

All of these ones were the first generation. The next ones are all second generation (their kids):

I read Dragons of Summer Flame (Second Generation), and the last trilogy I read was the War of Souls Trilogy:

Dragons of a Fallen Sun
Dragons of a Lost Star
Dragons of a Vanished Moon

These books are SO interesting and they have SO much information on them. The authors built a fantastic world with so much detail. I loved the development of each character and I enjoyed that it was omnipotent and followed a bunch of different characters. I loved seeing how everything was connected and, in the second generation, I loved learning about their children and how their kids had turned out. I would definitely recommend these books to someone who enjoys reading! They are pretty long books (about 500 pages) so they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed reading them.

Have you read any good books lately?

I hope you have a lovely and safe week!! I am so happy it is FALL!!

xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images