This Does Not Define You

Hello lovelies! Moana is my FAVORITE! I am one of those people that when I am obsessed with something, I watch it over and over. I honestl...

Hello lovelies!

Moana is my FAVORITE! I am one of those people that when I am obsessed with something, I watch it over and over. I honestly am so excited for when our kids want to watch a movie over and over. I know I might get tired of it after the 100th time, but I love watching movies over and over. I can finish watching Moana and then want to start it over again right away. It is seriously SO beautiful. The music is beautiful, the message is beautiful, the animation is beautiful, everything about it is beautiful! Except the crab part.. that's not my favorite.. but the more I watch it the less I cringe haha. The characters are hilarious and the dialogue is witty.

One of my most favorite parts of the whole movie is the MUSIC. There have been many mornings while listening to the soundtrack on my way to work that I have just cried because of how beautiful the music is. And I realize that I have said the word "beautiful" 5+ times at this point, and I'm sure I will say it more because it seriously is GORGEOUS [different, but not really [10 points to whoever can name where that quote comes from. Hint: it's a TV show]]. Moana's grandma is one of my favorites. She's "the village crazy lady" and she is incredibly insightful. Stingrays are my favorite fish. When Tyson and I went to the aquarium for his work party, I quoted Moana's grandma so many times.

Moana is such a strong feminine hero. She is finding herself as she sails across the world to restore Te Fiti's heart. She stays true to herself and her mission regardless of the foes she encounters. *spoilers* When Maui leaves Moana alone in the middle of the ocean, Moana doubts herself. She believes she is not strong enough to face the adversity awaiting her. She turns away from the ocean's calm presence and breaks down. Her grandma comes to remind her who she is. The lyrics speak for themselves:

I know a girl from an island
She stands apart from the crowd
She loves the sea and her people
She makes her whole family proud
Sometimes the world seems against you
The journey may leave a scar
But scars can heal and reveal just
Where you are. 
The people you love will change you
The things you have learned will guide you
And nothing on earth can silence
The quiet voice still inside you
And when that voice starts to whisper
Moana, you've come so far
Moana, listen
Do you know who you are?

Moana's grandmother helps her in her moment of need. Moana had forgotten where she had come from, that she is SO loved, and that she will be stronger by overcoming this obstacle.

Now lets talk about that part. You know the one. One of the most beautifully created and animated moments of all time. Moana realizes that Te Kā is actually Te Fiti. I had chills and tears during this entire scene. Moana turns and meets Te Kā / Te Fiti in the middle, and reminds Te Fiti who she is. Again, the lyrics speak for themselves:

I have crossed the horizon to find you
I know your name
They have stolen the heart from inside you
But this does not define you
This is not who you are
You know who you are


Life is hard. Things happen, choices are made, and we lose sight of who we are. This movie spoke to me on such a personal level. I am so thankful that I had Tyson to remind me who I am. He was so patient and loving when it was so hard to love myself. He never once complained. He loved me through it. With his love and support I was able to overcome my anxieties and depression. He reminded me who I am. I am a girl who loves her husband and her family, who loves being with her friends, who loves traveling and being near the ocean, who loves all things Harry Potter and Disney, who loves binge watching Netflix and reading, who loves her wonderful life, and so much more. The people I love have changed me. The things I have learned will guide me. Nothing on earth can silence the quiet voice still inside me. 

If any of you are feeling like you have lost yourself in who you should be, how you should look, etc., please remember this. Follow the advice of Moana's grandma. Start with the basics of what you love. Sometimes the world seems against you; the journey may leave a scar. But scars can heal and reveal just where you are. Do you know who you are?

This movie has changed my life and I hope this post can help yours. You are not alone. Even if we have never met, if you ever need someone to remind you of this, I will be there.

xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images